[T3] Temp sensor and MPS problems on new motor

Jessica Chase jesassica at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 16:32:41 PST 2016

We haven’t had a chance to make much progress on our FI system issues, but we have a new brain on the way. Also, Daniel has been taking resistance measurements of our TS2 (head temp sensor) after the motor has warmed up, usually at either end of his commute. In a week where temps have ranged from the low 30’s all the way up to 60, the resistance readings have ranged from 90 ohms to 79 ohms. These are pretty low readings from what we gather, so our next move will be to ballast the sensor.

In other news, we developed two other issues un-related to the FI: as the week has gone on, the car has gotten harder and harder to start.  On the first try, it’ll crank and crank but won’t catch. On the second try it will catch right away and then quickly stall. Sometimes there are up to 6 tries alternating between cranking a lot and not starting or starting and stalling until it finally catches. This is with the fuel pump not grounded and we’re able to let pressure build up in the fuel ring for a few seconds before even turning the key the first time. Last week, there was no issue at all with starting….it fired up on the first try every time!!

After work today, Daniel went through 4 tries at starting but on the 5th try nothing happened. The idiot lights came on but the starter didn’t spin around. He had to push start it to get home. After the car got home, it fired up no problem after being parked. We had a problem with idiot lights but no starter over the summer on a really hot July day after a long highway drive. Today, the car had been off for 6 hours and it was 33 degrees out! It’s a little confusing. What do you all think?

Then, we were driving together and heard a strange moaning sound from the area of the motor. I thought it might be because my bike was in the back and was picking up some vibrations from the motor but no dice. Even with the bike out there was a moan. I turned off the headlights after parking and the moan went away. When I put the lights back on, the moan came back. It seemed to very clearly be coming from the generator. Are we crazy, or is this a thing that happens?