[T3] Question about D jet idle issues 73 T3

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Thu Jan 28 14:35:35 PST 2016

On 28 Jan 2016 at 9:48, William J wrote:

> I forgot to add . The ground lead /center terminal with the trigger unit out
> does not have the small braided lead soldered/ welded to the base yet when I
> tested with an ohm meter it does have ground contact to the base and dist
> body beside that if it didn't it would not funtion..Was this something Bosch
> may have changed at some point?

The center pin of the FI trigger points should NOT be connected to
the trigger point base nor to the distributor body. It connects to a
common point between the 2 contacts. If you measure with an Ohmmeter
with the distributor installed, however, you will find continuity
because the center pin connects back to ground via the brain and the
wiring harness.

For a better understanding of this, see this drawing:

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/ecu1.jpg

You want a single point ground for the FI system. Multiple grounds
will lead to what are called ground loops, which can cause problems.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org