[T3] Question about D jet idle issues 73 T3

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Fri Jan 29 14:02:53 PST 2016

  I did drive it today with the TS1 / IAD temp sensor connected . I brought
the RPM's up and let off the gas and didn't hear any popping . As I pushed
down hard to pickup speed I heard no pinging. .

 I have read the Pertronix does alter the ign timing a bit , how much I
don't know . I know I had to set the timing once I installed it in place of
the points yet can't recall if I had to advance or retard the timing .

  I was told an another site by one member this will alter the injector
timing and cause an unstable idle . The truth is once I installed the
pertronix and set the timing I never had a problem it's been on this car
since 95 with the original engine and the 72 I rebuilt.

 When I get a chance I will pull the ECU and the connector as I did in 2009
and check each componants resistance to see and then check each conponant
just to see if they are the same . I couldn't find any issues in 2009 yet
you never know something may have changed.

 Also since I removed the EGR relay long ago wire 14 and 17 are joined at
that connector between 14 and 17 of the TPS and ECU pluus the red lead from
the EGR valve is tied into the fuel pump relay and the electric AAR power ,
I need to locate that single wire connector and remove that red lead . These
are just another scource that may cause an issue at some point . I can
remove the EGR connector and just splice 14 and 17 rather than depend on the
two leads crimped together at each female connector and shorten the leads .
I'd need to check , if I recall 14 &17 are part of the idle and decel
circuit of the TPS.

William