[T3] Wipers

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Fri Jul 8 07:35:55 PDT 2016

On 8 Jul 2016 at 5:56, Mike Fisher wrote:

> I have 2 '70 squares in my Boneyard.  I should put '70 wipers in my '69?

'69 and earlier came with a set screw against a straight round shaft.
This never worked very well and VW had a recall to replace the bogus
set screw setup with a completely different wiper arm that used a
pinch bolt. If you have the replacement pinch bolt wiper arms you're
in good shape. The pinch bolt wiper arms work quite well.

Anyone who's still got the set screws should be looking for either
pinch bolt wiper arms or a complete setup from a '70. Note that early
round shafts were 5 mm while later ones were 7 mm. 7 mm shafts came
in '68. There were different pinch bolt wiper arms for each.

For '66 and earlier, the '70 upgrade only works if you've switched to
12 V.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org