[T3] Wipers

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Fri Jul 8 19:01:32 PDT 2016

On 9 Jul 2016 at 0:00, Max Welton wrote:

> When I did this on my old 63 bug, I was able to change the park
> position by reindexing the arm on the splined output shaft of the
> wiper transmission. I assume that trick should also on a type-3.

Yes, because the spline is really more of a knurl on a taper, and the
mating taper is smooth. The tapered bore in the wiper arm is
originally smooth but the metal is soft and takes an impression from
the shaft when it's tightened in place

> So If I wanted to consider the 71+ assemblies the question becomes:
> did the hole-to-hole cowl spacing change after 70?

I'm not sure, but even if the hole spacing is the same, you can't
interchange across the 70/71 boundary because the hole positions
moved so much. When the blades park on one side, the holes are offset
in the other direction, so the holes end up being a couple feet
offset from each other.

I know you could imagine just modifying things to accommodate the
change, but that does things like put the motor where the glove box
or speedometer need to go.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org