[T3] Wipers

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Fri Jul 8 20:27:48 PDT 2016

In a message dated 7/8/2016 10:01:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at VWType3.org writes:

On 9 Jul  2016 at 0:00, Max Welton wrote:
> So If I wanted to consider the 71+  assemblies the question becomes:
> did the hole-to-hole cowl spacing  change after 70?

I'm not sure, but even if the hole spacing is the  same, you can't
interchange across the 70/71 boundary because the hole  positions
moved so much. When the blades park on one side, the holes are  offset
in the other direction, so the holes end up being a couple feet
offset from each other.
I have to agree with Jim on this.. Having done this conversion, you  really
want to use 70 only parts. The spread on the 71 and later IS that  much
more different, adding in that I believe the motor spins in the opposite
direction (or it's because the link is offset enough to cause it). Also, I've
found that the brass sleeves that the wiper shafts attach to the "wiper
transmission" are shorter on the 71-73 models. This is partly because of the
"new" air box design. I suppose you could use the later sleeves and shafts, but
 you'd still have to deal with locating the wiper arms as they are much
different  between the years.

Bob 65 Notch  S with Sunroof