[T3] ECU question .

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Fri Jul 8 21:52:16 PDT 2016

 All I really have or have ever seen as far as part numbers go is a list
Russ Wolfe posted on Samba and all it has are VW part numbers listed and it
goes to Aug 72 but nothing for late 73 and mine is late mid Nov 73 .

 Since it had only VW numbers and the main differences were the ECU and MPS
and TVS I never paid any attention to the Bosch numbers . I don't recall if
the ECU in my car has a Bosch number , I know  it has  VW number and may
have both I simply went by his chart and many others did as well , few seem
to have 73's let alone Calif built as in my case. I read many times on Samba
Aug 72 were the last built.

 My 73 case was an X the 72 is a U . I have no idea if the 73 X that came in
this car was ever rebuilt or replaced , everything was there and in it's
place not one part missing even had the redish sort of fiber cover over the
voltage reg and two relays , still has. When I tried to remove the heads off
the 73 the cylinder were stuck so tight I had to tap and rock them off. The
72 came apart easy I rebuilt that case and have used it since 98 . Both had
the stepped heads and dished pistons. I assume the U case is late 72 from
that or Calif  sold.

 Assume is all I can do . All I do know is in 97 here they changed the smog
law and 73 is exempt even with the 2 different MAP's the read always came
out the same no matter what I did it was always a bit rich then the EGR was
inop and this was the old sniffer in the exhaust then after I rebuilt the 72
case they did the dino and it just made it .

 I've never driven another one to compare yet as mine was when I got it in
85 it ran real well even if the MAP was the proper VW # and the wrong Bosch
. I worked on cars long enough to know when any tiny thing has changed .

 As far as what Bosch # is correct for my 73 . I did get the proper Bosch
number MPS has no VW # so who knows. It runs better than it did with the one
I had on there yet before it ran great so who knows what changed since 2006
ran fine then .

 I didn't rack up many miles since 2006 . I did notice the left rear side
panel had the fiber board cracked when I first removed it to remove and
paint the fenders so someone was in there at some point . I really have no
idea what was done it seemed to sit a while I do recall . The odometer
didn't work I have no idea how many miles were on it ,it had 88k and a bit .

 It seems to run well enough just has that idle deal but it's better now
with the new MPS . I doubt it has more than 40 k on it since I rebuilt the
engine in 98 does have more years on the wiring and who knows what else.
.all I changed was the HTC and MPS and the fuel lines and other things to
maintain it.