[T3] Do you have a '68 or '70 Type 3?

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sun Jul 10 17:28:47 PDT 2016

On 10 Jul 2016 at 16:59, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> Yes, Sue's June of 70 Fastback is like both of you describe, meaning the
> pump ground wire goes up to a tab above and left of the steering column and
> there's another tab on the welded bar from the firewall to the dash left of
> the  glove box.

That's very interesting. It means that at least some '70s got BOTH
ground lugs. But your June '70 car is late, so that may be how it
came to get the '71 ground near the steering column. I'd like to find
an early '70 that has this same arrangement.

> I was of the understanding VW added some ground wires in 69, but
> maybe they finished what they started in 70 since it's a combo  year
> (1st for the larger nose, but without the electric motor air box
> system).

Yes, '69 got a whole bunch of ground wires that earlier cars didn't
have. So far, it looks like '70 was the crossover year with both
underdash grounds.

thanks for the extra input

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org