[T3] Crank no start!

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Wed Jul 27 14:11:07 PDT 2016

On 27 Jul 2016 at 13:11, liverbeat71 wrote:

> I'm having a mystery intermittent crank no start issue with my 69
> Fastback factory FI. My car was running fine, driving fine. Cranked it
> up this morning ran for 2 mins and cut out, crank no start after that.
> Everything was A OK, nice idle and good power, no skips etc. This has
> happened several times in the last 2 years and it seems to fix itself,
> as I would go try and start it randomly and it fires right up! No
> other symptoms.

After driving these cars for nearly 50 years, JUST this spring I
discovered that the ground for the fuel pump is much less than ideal.
I had the same problem with my '69 and traced it to a bad fuel pump
ground.

While there's no way for me to be certain that this is your problem,
it's worth fixing anyway, if only to prevent problems in this area
down the road. I've made up kits to fix this, which cost $10. The
kits don't amount to much, but they include instructions and they
eliminate a serious weak point. That price includes shipping.

When this has happened to your car, do you still hear the normal
relay clicking when you turn the key on? If not, you have a different
problem. In that case, make sure that the attaching screw for the FI
power relay, under the back seat, is tight.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org