[T3] The no horn blues

Daniel Nohejl d.nohejl at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 17:58:05 PDT 2016

Over the last week or so, our horn (OG 12V Hella) started to sound less forceful than it used to. We’d hit the horn ring and sometimes the horn would sound and sometimes not. Occasionally, it’d sound if we pressed on the right but not if we did on the left. Then, it gave off a weak bleat and then stopped sounding at all. To test the horn, we removed it and connected it to the battery via a jumper to the  + side and ran another wire to ground. The horn would give a barely perceptible tweet for a half second if we did that.We robbed the horn from our Type 1 and it worked perfectly on the Type 3 other than that it sounded really weak and stupid like a Type 1 horn does.

So….is there anything we can do to repair our T3 horn? It looks like the one here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=618250 <http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=618250>

It seems clear that we can open it up, but to what avail would we do so? The aftermarket seems pretty bleak.