[T3] Moaning in and out of gear

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jun 28 17:35:34 PDT 2016

On 27 Jun 2016 at 17:25, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> 2. i can reproduce the sound in neutral by revving the motor to a certain rpm

This tells you it's not wheel bearings or anything related to the
final drive. It could be something in the engine, but it could just
as easily be elsewhere and something that happens to resonate with
the frequencies the engine creates at that rpm.

You happened to mention the fan and we've all focused on that part,
but this is probably a red herring. Move around the car while someone
else holds the engine at this rpm. It could be engine tin, but it
could just as easily be a loose knob on the popout windows. I doubt
if it's actually the fan or anything to do with welding or balancing
it.

Since opening the engine seems to make the sound go away, consider
the rear door and the engine cover. Both of these can develop
loosenesses.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org