[T3] When I change the auto trans diff oil?

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Tue Mar 1 15:37:54 PST 2016

I know this is a paranoid question. Since I have no idea if the diff pinion seal was ever changed in my 73 T-3 SB . I see no lost of trans fluid and for all I know it could have been done since the 73 engine case does not have the sealing type case nuts and I saw other evidence that the engine and trans have been out when I got the car.

 The ground strap was just hanging and the two nuts that secure the auto trans to the mount were not there , this tells me the entire drive train has been out for some reason .

 I doubt I have put 60,000 miles since i owned this car yet it's well past the 7 year time frame.

 My question is I know I should change the diff oil yet by doing so could new oil affect this pinion seal ? I realize it's the trans fluid getting into the diff that causes the problems . I'm not sure which fluid gets the seal or is it just age and wear.

 The thing that really bugs me is when I had the trans out in 2002 I had no idea this seal was a concern or I would have replaced it then.

William

---