[T3] 412 Brake Caliper Question

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Fri Mar 4 15:51:54 PST 2016

On 4 Mar 2016 at 11:58, William J wrote:

> I don't know much about disc flex. I do know for some odd reason the
> mechanism in the late or 73 caliper appears to not allow the pads to hit the
> rotor when the pads are worn down to a point so the metal of the pad does
> not contact the rotor.

The only stop is the width of the vertical part of the spreader
spring. The pad backing plates will run into that at some point. That
piece is supposed to be slightly wider than the rotor, but spreaders
vary depending on their origin.

Once the backing plates run into the spreader spring, the pads can
still hinge inwards, but with much less braking action.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org