[T3] Anyone know , tailgate hinge stop?

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Fri Mar 4 15:51:54 PST 2016

On 4 Mar 2016 at 14:18, William J wrote:

>  On my 73 I always wondered what those small steel box shaped deals
> about 1 1/8" square right where that tailgate actual hinge stops
> against . I would call it a stop .

Fasty, Square, Notch?

I don't think any of them have an actual stop; they just run out of
travel. The owner's manual warns to control the opening with your
hand and not let the rear door swing open on its own. Squareback
hinges are one part I always save when parting out a car, because
those are often bent by people who just let them go.

Modern cars have pneumatic springs that have damping built in. Those
have spoiled us.  ;-)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org