[T3] 412 Brake Caliper Question

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sat Mar 5 05:50:37 PST 2016

On 5 Mar 2016 at 11:27, Dave Hall wrote:

> I saw a photo on Facebook from one of my German Type 3 friends with a disc
> cut through by worn out disc pads - it must have taken some time of
> screeching and awful braking to cut it right through!

Quite a few years ago, someone brought me a crapped out 914/4 that
needed a lot of work. One of the many things that was wrong with it
was the left rear caliper. It had worn thru the pad, which had then
tilted after hitting the spreader spring so that it continued to
grind into the inner ring of the rotor's friction surface. It
eventually ground ALL the way thru, leaving the outer ring of rotor
in a death grip between the worn out brake pads.

I think I've seen a photo of a similar disconnected rotor outer
annulus somewhere on the web.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org