[T3] 412 Brake Caliper Question

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Sat Mar 5 13:08:46 PST 2016

I can see that the pads can cut the rotor up if allowed to grind away . I
ve seen it many times on Fords and wondered how that much noise let alone
lack of braking action could be ignored when it ends up costing more later.
Yet the cost of a brake job and lack of the funds can result in this . Most
Ford dealerships won't warrenty a brake job unless they do the entire job.
Also when the Ford Focus came  out since the rotor's were so soft or the
pads to hard every other brake job required replacing the rotors due to
being worn thinner then allowed safe , the techs prefered the less expensive
after market rotors and pads because this did not happen.

 I'm not hard on brakes , I checked the pads in 2009 1,500 miles ago and
they were 1/4" thick . I never replaced the spreader springs and was always
missing one of the tin deals that keep the piston from rotating on the right
outer . I could never seem to find them coming with pads and the tin piston
rotation holders are not like the ones in the Bentley , they don't fit over
the hub of the piston they are held just by the two pad pins and have the
angle cut. Then Bentley does not show each change.

 I have never turned the rotors , no point unless they are warped or
slightly grooved . Never had the calipers done the outer seals still look
good . I have only replaced the front pads once since 85 and the rear wheel
cylinders once because new kits leaked and the rear shoes three times.

 I want to replace the pads and shoes just I know all is good. And change
the fluid ,

William

 I still feel tailgate rubber stops would have been a good idea.