[T3] Spark Plug Cables...

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sun Mar 13 11:21:50 PDT 2016

On 13 Mar 2016 at 3:03, J. Jonik wrote:

> How to know if spark plug cables are shot...or on the way out?  Ditto for plugs.

I replace the cables if the wire has become hard and stiff, or if it
has cracks anywhere. If you still have the original dist end
connectors, that screw onto the wire, replace just the wire, not the
whole assembly, as those OE parts are much better and nicer than
anything you can buy new today. Check the SP connectors to make sure
the internal resistor has not gone open. I have bulk wire and new or
used SP connectors. I also have new Bosch wiresets, but they need to
be modified to work; they're not long enough. You need to make one
longer wire.

As for spark plugs, it took me a LOOOONG time to understand what to
look for when thinking about replacement. Look at the shape of the
center electrode. The corners will be sharp and square when new, but
they get rounded by spark erosion as they are used. A certain amount
of rounding is acceptable, but they should be replaced well before
the end of the electrode become hemispherical.

If your plugs get black and need to be cleaned, that means that
you're not using the right heat range plug or there's a mixture
problem.

> I ask because, after bad running...and thorough cleaning etc of
> distributor, and even the old trying other points, rotor, cap etc...to
> fix....just a jiggle and snugging up of the spark cables seemed to be
> what got the car running.     But I do that a lot...and clean plugs.

My guess would be that you're wiggling something else in this
process. There are a lot of other wires in the SP area that get
bumped when you do this.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org