[T3] 412 Brake Caliper Question

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sun Mar 13 18:37:03 PDT 2016

On 13 Mar 2016 at 16:34, William J wrote:

> I need to at least flush the brake fluid soon. The runner boots on my car
> are the German cloth covered type and for some reason they are oily on the
> cloth , I can't tell if it's oil that blew up from under the trans or what
> it is. I was told to clamp them so I did and this most likey ruined them so
> I need new ones.

Yes, hose clamps are commonly suggested, but they're a bad idea.
They're a fix for a different problem. The air runners and IAD need
to be lined up in assembly so the hoses can stay straight. No amount
of hose clamping will make up for poor assembly.

>  I'm not sure where the fluid on the stick should be filling 6 pints 5
> oz , all I know not under the low or above the high mark.

Just keeping between the lines is all you need to know. I'm sure
there's some tolerance for outside the lines, but as long as you're
inside the lines there should be no problem.

I doubt if overfilling the final drive a small amount can cause any
real problems. It's probably more a matter of causing more churning
of the oil and that uses energy, resulting in a (probably
unmeasurable) reduction in gas mileage.

People, and some manuals, will tell you that overfilling will result
in overpressure and blowing out some seals in the AT or final drive,
but this is actually impossible, since both have vents at the top, so
they are always equalized to the atmosphere. Extreme overfilling
might cause overheating, just because of the extra power that goes
into the churning.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org