[T3] Bad day at the (FI) office

Daniel Nohejl d.nohejl at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 14:32:25 PDT 2016

So here’s a little update on our drivability situation!

Prior to today, I’d only driven the car once since Monday and only for a few minutes in order to change parking spots. Within a few hundred yards of driving, it started bucking under load, and when I got to a stop light, the motor had several short sharp dips in idle speed. It wasn’t very fun to drive and I parked it until today when the ‘new’ brains from Jim arrived.

Before installing one of them, I checked the wire connections at all the spark plugs and looked at the distributor cap, rotor, and points. Everything looked fine and we decided to start the car up and make sure the symptoms returned before making any changes. For the first 10 minutes and 1.5 miles or so, everything was fine, but soon the bucking started along with the short sharp dips in idle speed. We pulled into a gas station and installed an A/B brain from Jim…..A/B because it’s not 100% clear what the CU10X on the Bosch rebuild sticker means. For now, that seems to have cleared everything up as we put on another 18 miles and had no bucking, hesitation, or dips in idle speed. It drove and idled steadily.

I wonder if the process of failing and the ultimate failure of the ground connection for the brain caused something else to fail within the brain? I have no idea how they work so I won’t embarrass myself by trying to theorize about what may have happened.

Anyway, we still haven’t unplugged any of the switches Jim suggested because we didn’t want to make too many changes at once.