[T3] Bad day at the (FI) office

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sat Mar 19 19:49:24 PDT 2016

#24 is the supply to the injectors, so that's a high current
connection that really needs to be tight. There was nothing subtle
about the little piece of circuit board: mostly just a band saw.

> I wonder what you think about Deoxit or Deoxit Gold. I noticed that
> there are "scuff" marks on the copper/gold ends of the brain circuit
> boards where they meet the harness. I imagine the ends could be
> cleaned up with a pencil eraser or similar, but I wonder also about
> cleaning and rehabilitating them with a Deoxit spray.

The board tabs are gold plated, which means that they will never
corrode, and the scuff marks don't hurt anything unless they wear
thru the gold. The connectors look like they are probably tin plated,
so they could get oxidized eventually, but they tend to be very
reliable, so I wouldn't worry about them. I'd be more concerned about
putting something in there that would leave a residue with unexpected
consequences. The little bits of gum left by a pencil eraser could
come back to haunt you.

Good connectors are designed to create a gas-tight seal around the
microscopic points of contact. That's important, and it's also the
reason why cleaning with steel wool is usually a bad idea, because
nothing you can see is important, and the last thing you want in the
part you can't see is a little broken bit of something else.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org