[T3] Bad day at the (FI) office

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Tue Mar 22 16:03:15 PDT 2016

On 21 Mar 2016 at 19:03, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> Also  yesterday I noticed the speedo needle has started slightly
> vibrating between 30 and 50 mph.

I checked the parts list, and I see that a speedo cable 1167 mm (just
under 46") long (141 957 801C) is called out for all LHD Type 3s.
When I Googled that number, I was surprised to find it available from
a number of vendors, but not everyone has it. The common cable for
Beetles is about 2" longer and is what is commonly available in the
aftermarket. 2" doesn't seem like much, but you want only smooth
curves in it.

The cable should pass above the tie rod before it goes into the
steering knuckle.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org