[T3] My final question about the auto trans fluid level.

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Tue Mar 22 20:02:20 PDT 2016

On 22 Mar 2016 at 14:47, William J wrote:

> Just to add . Since the red tag faces right as it always has even with the
> trans fluid warm engine runnning when I pull the stick the two marks face up
> since the part of the stick a bit above the marks had a 90 degree twist
> built into it . The other side has no marks and assuming it drops into the
> pan at about 90 degrees I see only fluid on the side with the marks and only
> a tiny wipe on the unmarked side . If the trans is cold engine off the level
> is way over the high mark which is normal yet I see fluid on both sides that
> are pretty close to equal.

Sounds like your level is low. The dipstick tube takes a turn and
enters the AT vertically, so you should see the same level of fluid
on both sides. If you're only seeing it on one side, that's probably
something it's picked up from the side of the dipstick tube and not a
real reading.

Add more ATF and see if you start to see equal fluid levels on both
sides with just a quick dip. Then bring that level up between the
marks.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org