[T3] Mystery Miss

Daniel Nohejl d.nohejl at gmail.com
Sat May 7 14:43:33 PDT 2016

> On 7 May 2016 at 13:54, Phil Hof wrote:
>
>> One electrical FI gremlin I once had, and is easy to miss (no pun
>> intended) was inside those clear connectors (T1 and T2) that you push
>> a female tab connector into and slide onto the male spade.  One
>> example is wire 19 (pump signal) on the engine bay; another is the
>> head temp sensor connector.  On more than one occasion, I´ve seen them
>> pushed into the plastic housing, but instead of being slid OVER the
>> male tab, they were slid NEXT TO the tab.  It looked fine on the
>> outside if the plastic was yellowed or cloudy, and it would make
>> contact, but as temperature and vibration did their thing, it could
>> lose contact.
>
> Yeah, I've seen that, too. In fact, the first time I saw this it was
> done by a dealer mechanic, so it's not just a novice thing. It's easy
> to do wrong if you're in a hurry, but also easy to do right if you're
> willing to take the extra time to do the job well.

I could see that being an issue but we no longer have any of those T1 or T2 connectors. When communicating with Joe about the harness, there was some confusion about the “gender” of the FI harness ends vs the main harness ends. We wound up getting a harness with the opposite gender of what we needed at wire 19 and at the ECU power wires. While we don’t have those plastic connectors, we have all potentially exposed metal covered with electrical tape and far away from anything they could contact.

I like William’s idea about fashioning a test light for the + side of the coil. I’m going to get on that tomorrow!