[T3] Mistery Miss

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Sun May 8 11:08:50 PDT 2016

 From everything I've read about Dan and Neena's 69 SB with 4 speed I see
one issue creep back into focus which is the bucking . Since it's
intermittent this is why I brought up using a wired in test lamp from wire
15 on the coil with the light up front or a 12 volt buzzer and on second
thought fuse the Ign lead end since the power begins there and Dave brought
up the ign is not fused. I knew that yet felt if it was installed with care
no issues would crop up.

 The wiring diagram is not that complicated and this test would rule out not
only the coil losing power it would also rule out the power relay for the
ECU which is fed off the same circuit. Since the wiring is quite old at this
point it would make sense to at least fuse from the  ign switch to coil even
though it's not done at the factory it could prevent a wire meltdown even
though the wires reside in a casing from the fuse box to the engine there is
no protection under the rear seat and not much in the engine bay to the coil
. Just say an 8 amp fuse so it's easy to get at under the dash.

 I never believed in tossing parts in hope of finding a problem . You work
from the wiring schematic , get familar where the wires run and find a
likely spot of failure.

 Since it's intermittent the only way is to monitor a circuit while driving
since the system is very old school you need to be creative to test
intermittent electrical faults. Need to understand voltage drops and
resistence and connections.

 I am far from new at this 50 + years of working on automotive electrical
systems and locating shorts and knowing what a faulty ground acts like and
most of all locating intermittent issues .
 Perhaps if all here who are trying to help Dan and Neena got on the same
page it would lend to far less confusion. Just my 2 cents.