[T3] I want to change my brake fluid it's been a while? 73 SB

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Thu May 12 21:09:58 PDT 2016

On 12 May 2016 at 19:37, William J wrote:

>  1) Since I have the late calipers in the Bentley it states to get out
> all the old fluid you need to open the bottom bleeder with the upper
> one open. Is this really needed? Is the reason the old fluid has no
> way to get out from the outer piston?

It's to get as much of the damp old fluid out as possible.

>  2) I read in one post Russ said he just lets gravity bleed the
> brakes. Has anyone done this and it worked?

Done it often. It works, but just takes longer.

>  3) I got new disc pads and want to install them first there is about
> 1/8" pad left on all 4 . Reason is once new pads are installed the
> fluid rises in the Reservoir it's low now .

Yes, that's reasonable.

>  4) Does it help to draw out some of the old fluid in the reservoir so
> the old stuff is not so much before new fluid enters the lines or
> master cylinder?

Probably a good idea, since the fluid in the reservoir will probably
have the most moisture in it.

>  5) What other than those self bleeder screws works for a one man
> fluid change . Do the hose in a jar with fluid work remembering right
> now there is no air in the system.

Hose in a jar is the way to go. Hose should come off the bleed screw,
go uphill a couple inches, and then down to the bottom of the jar.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org