[T3] Mystery Miss

Daniel Nohejl d.nohejl at gmail.com
Sun May 15 16:12:42 PDT 2016

We finally got around to getting some better pictures of the ECU power wires I mentioned earlier in the week…..the ones which cause the engine to miss when jiggled and to cut out when touched together. Today, after removing the electrical tape we were insulating with, the idle went from smooth to lumpy as one of the connectors in our F-F adaptor got loose in the removal process. Oddly, with one of the wires totally disconnected, the motor continued to run on, just not very smoothly

Here are what the wires from the FI power relay under the back seat look like in the engine bay. They’re clean, solid, and show no signs of fraying or damage:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1505295 <http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1505295>

Here are the ones on our FI harness, which are also male:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1505296 <http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1505296>

In the end, we reinstalled the T2 connector and built a smaller adaptor between the male ends of the black and white wires and the male ends of the FI harness, which are numbered 15 (not 16) and 24:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1505297 <http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1505297>

We insulated the exposed brass with electrical tape because we’re not convinced this is a permanent fix. What I really want to do is change the ends of the FI harness to female and run them directly into the connector without an adaptor. It seems that the weak link in our set up is the adaptor and how the wires bend. The bending causes the connectors to get tugged slightly off each other and to make less firm contact which I think is our issue…..short or long losses of power which cause the bucking or cutting out.

I also want to go back to factory with our wire 19 (fuel pump ground) set up. I have the T1 connector but I need a new one of these connectors. Does anyone have any they’d be willing to sell?

https://www.belmetric.com/noninsulated-connectors-c-19_164_200/e308-uninsulated-male-spade-with-tab-p-1403.html?zenid=9hm3vqlg5ovu7or1tnu4og80l2 <https://www.belmetric.com/noninsulated-connectors-c-19_164_200/e308-uninsulated-male-spade-with-tab-p-1403.html?zenid=9hm3vqlg5ovu7or1tnu4og80l2>