[T3] Missing at speed (was NAPA fuel filter FIL 3001)

Christopher Slaymaker slayskridge at me.com
Fri Nov 25 04:29:27 PST 2016

Here is the original post:

----------------

I trusted NAPA to source a correct fuel filter for me.

Wrong.

I think I lost about a quart of fuel figuring this out.  The nipple size is
too small.

I am trying to find a suitable replacement, but am drawing a blank.

I have an OE filter on there now that a friend sold me from his stash of
original parts - he has an ACVW shop that he has been operating for decades.

I am trying to troubleshoot a problem with missing at speed/under load and
thought the fuel filter might be suspect since it?s been on there a few
years (several thousand miles as my squareback is my daily driver).

I have tracked down as many other possible problems as well, and I believe
I have all the FI connectors continuous. The harness ends are brittle as
hell.

I have not tested the temp sensor impedances at operating temperature yet.

The charging system is maintaining correct voltage.  Fuel pressure is 29.5
- what am I missing?

————————

The fuel filter issue is as yet unresolved. It may not be an issue. The fuel filler neck overflow tube that is often the cause of dirt in the fuel system was addressed the moment I got the car 9 years ago.

The missing at speed/under load problem has been resolved. I did many things in an attempt to correct it but to no avail.
1. It needed a tune-up and oil change: a few valves were out of speck, but not terribly. Compression was good on all four.
2. Replaced the Pertronix with points: I was uncomfortable with not being able to get the dwell below 60.
3. Replaced intake runner sleeves:  What was on there had softened and swollen to about 1.5 inch ID. I used what NAPA had on hand - 1.25 inch ID fuel filler hose - 22 dollars a foot!  While I had the IAD out, I dismantled and cleaned it - including the TPS. I put it back in assuring proper alignment with the intake runners.

Still no joy.

What appeared to work was this (why didn’t I do this before?): I unplugged the intake pressure (vacuum) sensor and plugged it back in.  BOOM!  Smooth acceleration, more power, no missing.  Will Deoxit work on the connectors to keep corrosion at bay?

Chris