[T3] Backup Lights

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 14:32:13 PDT 2016

Jim --

Your comment about the "ungrounded" bumper, just jogged my memory.

When we pulled the car behind the motor home to Bob Heydt's garage in
Kimball, MI in September 2012 to repair my heater tubes and install new
rocker panels, the bumpers were NOT installed.  I carried them along for
Bob to mount.

   1. He welded in the old (but patched & "newly painted") rear bumper
   mounts &
   2. we bolted up the bumpers to the bumper brackets and
   3. inserted the bracket arms through the slots in the apron &
   4. bolted the (also "newly painted")  brackets to the body.

Could the painted brackets have "insulated" the ground connection to the
body?

Since I *rarely* drive the Square at night, I almost never put the car in
reverse and back it in the parking space ... when "the air is dark".  :-)

To test, I will run a (temporary) ground wire from the bumper to a known
good, chassis ground.

With the Ignition Key Switch in the RUN position and the shift lever in
REVERSE position, if the bumper is properly grounded, the back up lights
should light, right?

Is the Reverse Switch accessible from the top or from below?

Further comments to come.

--
Gary "Frito" - '69 Squareback, FI, MT, One-owner
Rockport, TX (winter)