[T3] (no subject)

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 17:48:32 PDT 2016

>>Could the painted brackets have "insulated" the ground  connection to the
>>body?

>Yes. The paint created an insulation barrier. This is why a lot of parts
>are painted afterward, that are depending on a metal to metal contact for
>ground.

>>Since I *rarely* drive the Square at night, I almost never put  the car in
>>reverse and back it in the parking space ... when "the air is  dark".  :-)

>>To test, I will run a (temporary) ground wire from the  bumper to a known
>>good, chassis ground.

>Yes. Maybe with the lift gate open, clip your test lead to the gate latch
>(body side).

Bob --
I'm aware some VW parts were painted *after* assembly.  But I can't see how
the bumper brackets-to-body were handled that way.  I'm only familiar with
my '69 Square.
Did the rear aprons on Fasty's and Notch's also have a "slot" to accept the
bracket arms being inserted and then bolted up?

Good idea to connect the ground wire to the rear hatch latch on the body
side.  I thought about removing a tail light to get to the "good" ground.
My other check will be to check the lock washer and hex nut that mounts the
stem of the back up light to the bumper.

I'm sure there's a fairly simple reason.  ???  (fingers crossed)

--
Gary "Frito" - '69 Squareback, FI, MT, One-owner
Rockport, TX (winter)