[T3] Front Upper Shock Bushing

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sun Oct 9 15:04:04 PDT 2016

On 9 Oct 2016 at 15:35, Sean Bartnik wrote:

> So last night while driving the upper mounting bolt for my right front
> shock decided to depart the vehicle and go off on its own on the mean
> streets of Brooklyn. Unfortunately it also took the washers and
> bushing with it.  I can find sources online for the bolt and washers
> but I can´t seem to get the bushing without buying a new shock.

The rubber bushing is pressed into the eye on the end of the shock
and is very hard to remove. It won't just fall out on its own. I
spent quite a bit of time trying to find a replacement for a worn out
(destroyed) bushing in another car last winter and finally gave up
and made something from makeshift parts. Don't know how long that
will last, but all my attempts at finding an original were fruitless.

If you're just talking about the steel sleeve inside, I may have one,
but if your rubber was worn enough that the sleeve could fall out,
that's not a good sign. It should be VERY tight in there.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org