[T3] '71 crankcase breather components

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Oct 16 15:11:42 PDT 2016

On 16 Oct 2016 at 12:04, Phil Hof wrote:

> My breather on my '71 (single large cap) has nothing under the cap but a large washer.  I seem to remember a spring, and maybe a foam or other piece under it.  I have no symptoms, but I am thinking that I have one or more missing elements.  Do you know what is inside those?  This is not the later 2-cap type with the PCV valve stuff inside.
> In fact, it is neither the early (#8) version, nor the late (#9,11-19, 21-23) version.  It does have the hose (#10) to the fill pipe assembly (#2), not the older rubber nipple type.
>
> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type3_parts_book/Type_3_Parts_Book_Group_1_Engine.pdf

> About a third through the document Page 1-31a, Illustration A4

Under the cap on a '71 you should have a spring, a washer, and a sort
of cup. Under that is the special hollow bolt that holds the breather
box to the breather stand. Sounds like the only thing you're missing
is the spring, which just keeps the washer from bouncing up.

I have stainless springs that I make to replace those.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org