[T3] Electric fuel pump on a 66 Fastback with carbies.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Oct 29 20:13:18 PDT 2016

On 30 Oct 2016 at 8:09, Ross G Clarke wrote:

> I am in favour of using a small "push button" switch to activate the
> electric pump to prime going to the non active manual pump. This would
> have the float bowls ready for starting and the manual pump take over
> on the crank of the starter motor.

That would be my choice also, but it will work ONLY if the electric
pump has nearly zero resistance to flow forward when it's not
powered. It all depends on how sensitive the internal valving is on
those pumps, and I don't know what they look like inside. The way to
check is to simply blow thru it in the forward direction. If air can
pass forward with minimal resistance, it should work. (Note that the
first time you do this with a new pump the check valves may be
sticky.)

The extra pressure should not be a problem since you're only
energizing the electric pump for a few seconds before trying to start
the engine.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org