[T3] type3-vwtype3.org Digest, Vol 73, Issue 22

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Oct 26 23:21:12 PDT 2016

On 27 Oct 2016 at 7:57, Ross G Clarke wrote:

> I like Dave's idea of a supplementary electrical pump powered by a
> separate switch for starting after those long storage periods. Seen
> quiet a few inexpensive pumps on the net which would do the job. Just
> got to think of a simple way to set this fuel delivery up. Maybe a
> couple of tee pieces (fuel in, fuel out) to fill the carbs?

I like it, too, but I haven't been able to visualize how one would go
about doing it.

If you mounted an electric pump under the gas tank, in series with
the gas line to the engine, then it would push gas thru the
mechanical pump and into the carbs when the electric pump was
energized. This would work, however, only if gas can flow freely
forward thru the electric pump when that pump is off. I don't know if
they work that way, but you could tell by trying to blow thru one.

> Dave suggestion of a "simple push button switch",  wondering is this
> safe enough?  Would a "crash safety switch"  suggested by Jim be
> necessary in this push on/off switch situation?

A momentary contact switch would make the crash safety switch
unnecessary.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org