[T3] '67 Engine Tins

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Fri Sep 16 22:16:27 PDT 2016

On 17 Sep 2016 at 4:10, Know One wrote:

> Bought a stock 1600 longblock from AVP (local to me) and they have
> installed some engine tins on the undersides of the cylinder that I
> have not seen before.
>
> I've posted some pictures on Flickr and would appreciate some thoughts on these tins.
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/52053275@N00/albums/72157670647048993

They are commonly referred to as "cool tins." They are a definite
improvement to the cylinder cooling. They were factory installed on
'71 and later Type 3 engines only. The other tin was also changed at
that time, to clear these, where they stick out at the front and rear
of the cylinders. The revised late tin pieces make for the neatest
installation, but the early tin can be forced over the cool tins and
will work. It may be useful to trim some of the early pieces for a
better fit.

Welcome back.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org