[T3] Engine Idle very low, once warmed up

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Wed Aug 2 22:20:50 PDT 2017

 The part you are describing is the part Jim talked about . It allows
additional air past the throttle since the throttle is closed at idle so it
increases the idle speed when cold .

 Since you have an engine off an auto trans model this is why you have the
electrically heated AAR on a manual trans the one you have in your parts bin
that's heated by engine oil instead of electric in the proper one yet they
can still stick.

 Point is as Jim said to make certain it's not the AAR axillary air
regulator you need to plug the end on the hose connected to the oil bath air
filter then adjust the idle speed . If you feel suction on that hose when
cold it's open as it should be and no suction when closed = normal idle
speed adjustment using the screw with the lock nut on top of the IAD intake
air distributor. you do have a lock nut if not the screw will back out or
in.

 Since the engine runs well when the idle is up see if the throttle cable is
not sticking or remove the oil bath and see if the throttle plate is fully
closed when hot and not gunked up and sticking /binding because temps can
affect this . If it's not fully closed when hot it's just like stepping on
the gas pedal more air = higher idle .

 I bring this up because the IAD is aluminum and the throttle disc is steel
and aluminum expands more when hot if so suddenly when hot the throttle can
fully close = lower idle when hot. Other things can affect the idle yet it's
best to start simple.