[T3] Why is it that when I got my 73 SB I never had to turn the key several times to prime the system .

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Aug 4 06:25:56 PDT 2017

On 3 Aug 2017 at 15:12, William J wrote:

> If the check valve goes completely then the
> pump will not put out pressure is this true?

There are at least 2 ways in which the check valve can fail. If it fails one of
those ways it can block the pump outlet, preventing any gas from getting out
of the pump. If it fails the other way, the pump will still put out gas at
pressure, but it won't hold pressure in the line after shutdown.

Our pumps are now old enough that they are all starting to fail one way or
another. I can usually rebuild them, giving them another few decades of life.

It's very important that the "overflow" hose under the RF fender be intact,
because leaks there let water and dirt into the gas system. Since the OE
hoses are always cracked by now, and the OE hose is NLA from VW, I've
developed a kit to repair it. So far, I've not seen or heard of any of my kits
failing, and they've been out there for about 10 years, which is about 3x - 4x
longer than the OE hoses tended to last for me. These were always a weak
spot in the '68-73 Type 3 design.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org