[T3] Why is it that when I got my 73 SB I never had to turn thekey several times to prime the system .

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Fri Aug 4 11:26:08 PDT 2017

Jim:

 I think I understand the fuel pump now . Let me know if I have this right.

 The so called check valve if it fails one way no fuel output and the other
way it won't hold pressure in the system after shut down . In the later this
means to me if it won't hold pressure after shut down this would be every
time the car is started and shut down one would need to cycle the key even
if it were a short trip IE the pressure would just drop to zero right after
shut down or slowly bleed down so the car may start right up depending over
all on how fast the pressure drops to zero.

 There was some spec on how long the pressure would hold if all if working
well wasn't there? And a certain amount of pressure needed to just turn the
key and it would start . The 1.5 seconds the pump relay runs the pump if
everything is well should bring the pressure back up for one turn of the key
start up as long as there is a certain amount of pressure still in the lines
. Also after shut down when the starting is engaged at the same time the
fuel pump relay is so no need for the 1.5 second time out .

 This hot soak fuel boil is what forces the liquid fuel back through the
pump leaving just vapor because of the pressure difference 30 PSI line
pressure  and 20 PSI is what it takes to force the fuel back through the
pump leaving vapor only due to the so called check valve thus the key cycle
deal  or added switch.

 what I still can't get past is why I never had this hot fuel soak and vapor
and never needed to cycle the key before.

 As it is now the car can sit after hot shut down over night and will start
in the morning yet I don't drive everyday . I can drive it and shut it down
and it will fire right up even after a 10 mile trip in hot weather after
sitting over an hour. I can drive a mile or more and it always starts . I've
driven it 4 miles 4 starts park in a hot garage and then get in and it fires
right up.

 I have a momentary contact toggle switch rated at 25 amp figured I'd just
wire it fused  side of  a hot all the time fuse tied to the fuel pump hot
lead where it connects to the pump relay. Pump has it's own ground not
dependant of relay.