[T3] Why is it that when I got my 73 SB I never had toturnthekey severa...

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Tue Aug 8 10:18:03 PDT 2017

I realize the airtek pump requires priming since there is no check valve.
also that the bosch pump check /relief valve can fail in two ways either it
won't hold pressure or you get no pressue as yours did. I think Jim said
most he has seen fail in the pressure holding check valve part.
 I saw the post Russ made while doing a search the other day on samba
telling how his quit and how he knew a VW tech near him that had the ranger
pump .

 I can deal with adding a primer switch which would at least work faster
than key cycling. What I need to do now is put the pressure gauge on again
since it's been at least 6 months since I did it and see how long the
pressure holds after shutdown instant to 23 PSI then 15 to 18 there about
after 24 hours then find out why it bleeds down or if it does. I did get all
new injectors around 2002 all I noticed was before once in a while when
started I would get a cloud of black smoke that would clear that's all the
changed it stopped doing that. I thought I might use a fuel line clamp I
have 4 build up pressure and clamp the pressure line to the left side
injectors from the pump this will tell me if the pumps check valve is not
holding . Then there is the regulator I replaced it in 97 it adjusts fine
yet if it holds is another possible , it seems to since once the thing is
primed it will start all day  long starts right up.

 The difficult part for me is bending over that rear bumper working in such
close quarters checking the injectors if they leak down , I don't know how
long they last and never checked spray pattern or counted drips and timed
them.