[T3] Why is it that when I got my 73 SB I never had to turnthekey severa...

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Mon Aug 7 22:42:23 PDT 2017

In a message dated 8/7/2017 1:22:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
catnine09 at dslextreme.com writes:

This  fuel priming thing still begs to question it never did it before my
only  answer is the crap fuel because once it's primed it starts everytime
all  day long until it sets over night then it's 3 key turns more than a
day
it's 7 to 9 . So I'll put in a switch and perhaps get a airtex or similar
just in case . Since the pump works as Jim explained then it's a crap
design
the check valve should hold pressure and did so something changed  there.
Just can't imagine with all these sold with the same pump people  would put
up with priming like some old hand operated well pump  .
Well, either the "check valve" is progressively getting more worn  out, or
you have an injector slowly leaking, or you've got a pin hole in a fuel
line. I only say that as you're slowly loosing pressure somewhere. And if you
think adding an Airtex pump will fix it, you're surely wrong. I'll be the
first  to tell you using the Airtex pump, while a very good substitution for
the Bosch  pump won't fix the bleed down issue you're seeing the next day (or
days ) after  using the car. I've got a 71 Square sitting here with an
Airtex pump in it, and  after a week (or more) I have to cycle the key switch 3
or 4 times before  starting the car to get the fuel pressure up. Same
applies if it just sits 1  day, or even 1 afternoon. I suppose you could add a
separate check valve to  the system if you ran that pump. You'd have to ask
Keith if adding a check valve  would improve the system with either pump, as
he's the only I know who is  actually using a separate check valve on his type
3. Just so you know, Russ  Wolfe was the guy who found using the 85 Ford
Ranger frame rail mounted  pump as a good replacement for the Bosch pump. It
was more price driven than  anything, well that and Russ was trying to get
home from work. But,  a new Airtex version costs about 85 to 90 bucks, while a
new Bosch  pump costs 700+ bucks. About the only people who can afford the
new Bosch  pump are Porsche owners.

And since the original Bosch pump design is such a "crap design"  that's
lasted and still performing it's job on your type 3 after 44 years, I  would
hope a Ford pump (which is what the Airtex pump is a copy of) lasts at  least
that many years. I know Delphi pumps are good for about 15 years before
they go kaput, as I've had several do that over the years.

But yes, the "check valve" that Bosch used isn't very good, as it'll  work
just fine 1 day (after many years of service), and then up and quit the
next day without any warning. I know, because I had it happen to myself on my
71  Notch (I also had it happen on my wife's 70 Fastback) when I was using it
as a  daily driver. But, it was a used pump (that did function) and was
probably  stored incorrectly for a few years before I installed it on that car.
The thing  is, when the check valve goes, it does so without warning, and
the pump will  keep running, but not build any pressure (it's common failure).

Bob 65 Notch  w/Factory Sunroof converted to  IRS