[T3] Is there a real issue with using 5/16" ID fuel hose ratedSAE 30 R7 ?

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Tue Aug 22 22:06:11 PDT 2017

I agree on the hose using FI type like the  gates barricade carburated hose
with a 50 PSI rating . It's not cheap yet I did find one online place that
25 feet of it would be under $50 . They also have FI gates hose whcih is
almost twice the price. I started a post on Samba asking about hose and
ethanol fuels. The only one whcih holds up to oil seems to be the gates for
carbs if I recall. I really have no idea how much longer the gate hose will
last even though it has 5 different layers rather than two also from what
I've read it does not like tight curves yet they don't define tight .

 So far and perhaps it's because I don't drive many miles per year or it's
parked in a garage out of the elements, none of the goodyear 30R7 of the
more expensive german FI have I have on my car has become hard or cracked
which does not mean some section won't suddenly spring a leak . I had it
happen in the past twice yet that was many years ago one was old regular
5/16" fuel hose and another time it was that braided German stuff which
sprung a leak in the hose across the L to R side of the engine.

 Another issue that I have read about is the tank and steel lines and the
moisture drawn in causing rust yet it seems less common with FI because of
the fuel running in a loop. I have no idea yet assume rust from water can
still present an issue with steel tanks and steel lines. Then since later
cars all with FI may have nylon tubing for fuel line some still have steel
lines for the FI rail and their vacuum controlled regulator and run at
higher PSI well above 30 PSI.