[T3] On a 73 T-3 SB fuel injected aut trans pinging .

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Dec 5 06:01:41 PST 2017

On 4 Dec 2017 at 21:24, William J wrote:

>  I tried to see it advance with a timing light and it was difficult to tell
> since I couldn't get a good aim in that small hole ,

The easier way to do this is to remove the cover over the generator pulley
and shine the timing light in that opening at an angle while looking down thru
the small hole.

> > The other way to check is to simply twist the rotor CW and see if you can
> > feel it turn against some spring pressure and then release it and watch to
> > see if it snaps smartly back. If it does, it's working.
>
>   I never really tried to twist the rotor clockwise with any force just
> enough for the rotor to stop yet when I release it it moves back yet has a
> bit of free play , meaning I can move it back a bit more than the springs
> take it back.

Yes, there will always be some free play. That's normal and okay. The
movement you're interested in is beyond the free play. Past the free play
there should be spring loaded motion that comes freely back when you
release the rotor.

>  it's a pretty distinct ping sound a good rattle that stops as soon as I let
> of the gas .

I wonder if this could just be some new rattle, rather than a ping. They can
be pretty similar. Check for loose cooling tin, especially the heat shields on
the muffler.

>  This distributor has never been apart and it was out of a 72 auto trans had
> the dual advance can.

I'm guessing you're using the advance part of the dual can and setting the
timing to 5 BTDC at idle, which is the 3rd timing mark from the left. Is that
right?

You should have nothing connected to the retard port on the vacuum can;
that's the one that points toward the distributor body.

If you still have the correct AH distributor from your original engine, why not
use it? If you're worried that it's no good, send it to me to be worked over, so
you can have confidence in it.

Are all the other FI parts on your current engine the correct original '73
parts? You want the distributor, pressure sensor, brain, and intake air
distributor to be a '73 matched set.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org