[T3] Brake Fluid

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Dec 6 17:22:12 PST 2017

On 6 Dec 2017 at 20:00, Keith Park wrote:

> our cars came with ATE blue?  I guess I never knew that!
> Germanautoparts.com sells it, or they did... I used in them.
> I really need to change the fluid in my 93 RX7, its original
> and I boiled the slave cylinder in the clutch on a hot day last summer...
>
> Cirstallsalot should get a change too, its never been open

If you change the fluid on a car that old that still has it's
original fluid, you'll be horrified at what it looks like when it
comes out. It will be brown, filled with mud. Cars with a cast iron
reservoir on top of the MC will be especially bad. That reservoir
will appear to have a layer of mud sediment on the bottom.

And it's not mud. It's iron oxide from all the metal surfaces inside
the brake system. And it doesn't take 20 years; it can happen in 5 to
8 years.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org