[T3] Brake Fluid

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Wed Dec 6 17:34:57 PST 2017

Yea, I really need to change those, the MC's are plastic but both
cars have ABS, and hopefully the "Mud" wont mess those up when I change it.
the opel went over 20 years before the hydraulics were opened, and yea... it
was Narly fluid at that point but it did flush out properly and was happy
again.

Probably need to change the fluid on the Square too.. thats still DOT4,
and its been since 2009...  ooh!

Keith

On 6 Dec 2017 at 20:00, Keith Park wrote:

> our cars came with ATE blue?  I guess I never knew that!
> Germanautoparts.com sells it, or they did... I used in them.
> I really need to change the fluid in my 93 RX7, its original
> and I boiled the slave cylinder in the clutch on a hot day last summer...
>
> Cirstallsalot should get a change too, its never been open

If you change the fluid on a car that old that still has it's
original fluid, you'll be horrified at what it looks like when it
comes out. It will be brown, filled with mud. Cars with a cast iron
reservoir on top of the MC will be especially bad. That reservoir
will appear to have a layer of mud sediment on the bottom.

And it's not mud. It's iron oxide from all the metal surfaces inside
the brake system. And it doesn't take 20 years; it can happen in 5 to
8 years.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org