[T3] On a 73 T-3 SB fuel injected auto trans pinging

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Dec 10 13:29:10 PST 2017

I was concerned that I was mixing up different IAD front covers when I said
there was a tiny hole at the PCV outlet. I just went down and looked at a
'72-3 IAD and, you're right, it does not have a tiny outlet hole. The tiny outlet
hole is only on the '68-9 IAD with the optional cold start valve. As a double
check, I also blew thru the '72-3 pipe to make sure there wasn't some
internal restriction in there and there isn't.

Nevertheless, I don't see that system causing a problem. It's possible,
however, that the PCV valve in the breather box has dirt in it, which makes it
stick open or closed at times. That might explain your idle variation. Try
removing and cleaning it.

I understand that you've already got the valves and timing done correctly.

Here are some other things to try/check/consider:

'72 & '73 MAP sensors and brains have the same VW part #, but they have
different Bosch numbers. I've always suspected this was because VW/Bosch
felt that the later part numbers would be backwards compatable, but this
does not insure forward compatability. You need to make sure you have the
'73 version of each

The '73 brain has a Bosch part # ending in 048. (The '72 brain is 024.)

The '73 MAP sensor has a Bosch part # ending in 116. (The '72 MAP sensor
is 106.)

I believe you're already using the correct AH distributor.

These parts were all developed to make the vacuum advance/retard
distributor used in '72 unnecessary. They work together, as a team.

Regarding your ping. My first recommendation would be to take the car for a
nice long drive. If that fixes it, great, if it does not, stop halfway thru your
drive and top up your tank with the highest octane gas you can find. If this
fixes or severly reduces the ping, you know that what you have is actual
ping, caused by compression pre-ignition.

If high octane gas does not change the ping, this is not real ping, but
something else.

(If you're already using premium gas, try regular. If going to regular doesn't
make the ping get a lot worse, then this isn't ping.)

Regarding the cyl head temp sensor, just leave it alone. There's more
resistance in series with that sensor inside the brain. (In the one schematic
that I've been able to find on the web, there's a 300 Ohm resistor that gets
connected in series, only at idle.) It's always possible that something has
gone wrong with the circuit inside the brain, but the brains have been
extremely reliable over the years.

BTW, I believe all the VW/Bosch cyl head temp senors are the same, except
for details like the length of the wire, the insulation, and, possibly, the style
of connector.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org