[T3] On a 73 T-3 SB fuel injected auto trans pinging

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Sun Dec 10 17:53:51 PST 2017

 Jim :

 I haven't checked the ECU yet I will.

 When I got this car it had a MAP Bosch number 0280 100 106  Vw # 311 906
051E . The 72 had a Bosch 0280 100 101 / VW 311 906 051 D and what it has
now is only Bosch 0280 100 116  no VW #.

 Back in 91 since the one that came on this car looked old and was screwed
together yet all 3 have the same nose and black cap and ground tab on the
MAP not knowing I put the 051D on it , it was riveted together and looked
new . I had it tied to the 016 so I could drive to Vegas and just swap the
plug and hose and it ran the same which is not to say it was right . I had
the 051D on it since 91 until 2015 . I tried to pass smog with the 106 and
tried to adjust it and marked it any adjustment just didn't help with
passing smog. When I rebuilt the 72 engine and installed it in 97 I still
had the 051D on it and at that time they had a dyno at the ford dealer where
I worked and it passed smog. All I knew back then is they all looked the
same all had the black tamper cap and ground . It was just under the wire of
being rich at idle.

 It did run great . I'm not saying I shouldn't have matched parts .

 I only know the ECU has a black tag and it is an E unit. If it does not
have a Bosch number on it I'm not sure what that might mean. Now days trying
to locate one would be quite a task with the proper Bosch number that you
provided. Then if I do whether it's any good is another issue besides the
cost.

 97 is a long time ago and fuel has changed so much since perhaps they ran
fine on that fuel yet not so much any longer. In 91 I could still get leaded
fuel by 97 it was just lead free.

 Russ years ago had a chart and it was only VW numbers by then I wasn't sure
what mine was yet it was the 051D.