[T3] type3-vwtype3.org Digest, Vol 87, Issue 11

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Wed Dec 13 16:24:28 PST 2017

I dont know what engine the 71 had originally, it was gone when I got it
but it was Silver Metallic, unavail in the US as an option, I dont think you
could get any of the metallic's here.

Ive looked thru ALOT of T3's in the early days (80's) here in NY in the
junkyard and on the road and Ive never seen a gas heater in a US car, only
the canadian origin ones.  Never thought they could be obtained here, maybe
they were just too expensive to get.

I looked into my records for the 73, that engine in it was a Factory
Rebuild, not the original one.  It had a numberless case and flat tops with
stepped heads.  Interesting combo from what Im learning.

The cylinders can be bored to 87mm without problem from what I what
I understand, 88 is too thin and I can verify that from personal experience!

how big were those oversize?  Ive seen some odd oversize number FS as OEM
pistons on the Samba in the past, but they were not much larger than the
originals.

Keith

> My 71 was a german spec military car, that wasnt imported till 74.

Interesting, what does that consist of? Regardless, if it had a U engine, it

should have come from the factory with recessed pistons. It's also
interesting
that those pistons have a 211 part number, so this option came to busses
first..

Looking at piston options, it's also interesting to see that VW had part
numbers for 1st and 2nd oversize pistons for each basic piston diameter. I
remember seeing some SoCal shop advertizing the ability to rebore stock
cylinders for OS pistons and always wondered where they got the pistons. It
seems like that would thin the cylinder wall enough that VW would not have
supported it, except for the 1500s.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org