[T3] type3-vwtype3.org Digest, Vol 87, Issue 11

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Dec 13 10:13:29 PST 2017

On 12 Dec 2017 at 23:05, Keith Park wrote:

> Hmmm... interesting, I dont think it was... but let me look back thru those
> records.
>
> yes, it was a tourist delivery car but had a gas
> heater not available in the US.  ALso the Emden 3E
> radio, was that avail in the US?

Gas heaters were available as a US option (M-60, maybe others) in, at least
'71 & '72 (I checked the owner's manuals), so probably also '73. My '70
owner's manual does not mention it. I'll check my '73 manual once I get the
nerve to go outside; it's below freezing today. I've seen only one of those
cars and it was a '71, from Minnesota.

The Service Without Guesswork booklets also show gas heaters for Type
3s, but do not break down the years they were available. Oddly, the '74
booklet gets the U engine timing mixed up.

The radios were always dealer installed, so that could have been done
anywhere by anyone and would not have affected the importability.

> My 71 was a german spec military car, that wasnt imported till 74.

Interesting, what does that consist of? Regardless, if it had a U engine, it
should have come from the factory with recessed pistons. It's also interesting
that those pistons have a 211 part number, so this option came to busses
first..

Looking at piston options, it's also interesting to see that VW had part
numbers for 1st and 2nd oversize pistons for each basic piston diameter. I
remember seeing some SoCal shop advertizing the ability to rebore stock
cylinders for OS pistons and always wondered where they got the pistons. It
seems like that would thin the cylinder wall enough that VW would not have
supported it, except for the 1500s.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org