[T3] General questions...Vintage VW-related...

donrob at yachtsales.com donrob at yachtsales.com
Sun Feb 5 13:15:51 PST 2017

There is another reason 2 door cars are going the way of the woolly
mammoth, and it is insurance related.  You may know that it generally
costs considerably more to insure a 2-door car than one with 4 doors.
This is because crash protection in the event of a t-bone type accident
is much less effective in a two-door car.  A four-door car has greater
protection for passengers in a t-bone accident.

The point is not the value or cost of the car, it is the millions of
dollars that are sometimes spent fixing the people who were in the car.

The cheapest car to insure is generally a station wagon, especially if
it has 4 doors.

In a similar vein, you can no get insurance at all in Ontario for a 12
to 16-passenger full size van if there are seats at the very rear of the
vehicle; a few inches from the rear doors.  This is because of the
horrific injuries to people sitting there in the event of a rear end
accident.