[T3] Hard Starting

Sean Bartnik sjbartnik at mac.com
Fri Feb 17 12:17:49 PST 2017

To test for a parasitic drain:

Disconnect negative battery terminal from battery. Connect your multimeter in series between the negative battery cable and the negative battery post. Make sure you connect the leads to the meter properly, there's usually a separate jack for current measurements.

Get in the car, close the doors, make sure everything electrical is turned off, then turn your meter on and measure the current. Start with A and switch the range to mA if the results are low enough.

Report back your reading.

Note, do not turn ignition on or try to start car or turn on any large electrical consumers while doing this test. Most meters have an internal 10A fuse, if you try turning something on you can blow your meter.

Also what is the voltage reading across the battery terminals just prior to one of these hard starts?

-Sean