[T3] turn signals/brake lights

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Feb 19 19:42:01 PST 2017

On 19 Feb 2017 at 20:13, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> Last night, Jessica signaled a left turn. The green indicator lights
> flashed a few times and then we heard a pop as the fuse blew.

That has to be a short either in the TS switch, in the E-flasher
switch, or in the wiring to the left turn signal bulbs. Looking at
the wiring diagram in the Bentley, you could try finding the
splitters that show to the left of the E-switch. Disconnect the short
wires that come from the E-switch to the splitters and see if the
fuse still blows. If it does, the problem is not in any of the wiring
out to the bulbs.

You should also reach up under the dash and very carefully feel the
E-switch. They have a habit of coming apart, which could create a
short. Don't push on any of the wires, or you may cause a new
problem.

> But......now the brake lights are on full time on both sides!
>
> Related events or coincidence?

Got to be unrelated, unless there was some damage to a wiring harness
that affected both circuits.

> I´ve been reading around and I´m inclined to think that it´s one or
> both switches. Other than plugging/unplugging power to the switches
> and seeing if the lights go off, is there another test? A few years
> ago, we replaced both when applying the brakes blew the fuse.

I'm guessing that you have a later MC with 3-pin switches. If you
also have a later wiring harness with the plugs, pull them off and
see if that turns off the lights. You should also check the wiring up
in the trunk to make sure nothing has damaged those wires and caused
2 of them to short together.

> FWIW, the brake indicator light functions as it should when I press
> it, I´m using DOT 4, and it has always taken a heavy application of
> the pedal to get the brake lights to come on. Generally, when sitting
> at a stop light, the brake lights don´t come on....only if I press
> harder than is comfortable while sitting at a light. Not sure that
> this means anything.

It's odd that the warning light works normally, because if one of the
switches was stuck in its pressurized state, the other one should
cause the warning light to come on all the time.

DoT 4 or DoT 5 (silicone)?

Sounds like your switches are both going bad, requiring much more
pressure than they should.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org